Friday, October 24, 2014

Bulimia Nervosa

Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by frequent episodes of binge eating (Binge eating disorder is a compulsive overeating in which people consume huge amounts of food while feeling out of control and powerless to stop), followed by frantic efforts to avoid gaining weight. It affects women and men of all ages. When you’re struggling with bulimia, life is a constant battle between the desires to lose weight or stay thin and the overwhelming compulsion to binge eat. You don’t want to binge you know you’ll feel guilty and ashamed afterwards but time and again you give in. During an average binge, you may consume from 3,000 to 5,000 calories in one short hour. There are plenty of symptoms and signs of bulimia, I will name the most common ones. First, there is the lack of control over eating; Inability to stop eating. Eating until the point of physical discomfort and pain. In my opinion alot of people feel that way, even I feel that way sometimes, when food is in front of me (even if I'm not hungry) I just eat and can't really control it, it is a pretty hard thing to try and control. Second there is, secrecy surrounding eating; Going to the kitchen after everyone else has gone to bed. Going out alone on unexpected food runs. Wanting to eat in privacy. Third, there is eating unusually large amounts of food with no obvious change in weight. Forth, there is disappearance of food, numerous empty wrappers or food containers in the garbage, or hidden stashes of junk food. Last, there is alternating between overeating and fasting; rarely eats normal meals. It’s all-or-nothing when it comes to food. In my opinion some of the symptoms are something very hard to control and most of the time a lot of people can’t their eating habits. A lot of people try taking the “easy way out” by going to the bathroom after they eat and stick something down their throat to make themselves throw up. I think that can be very dangerous in a lot of cases; there is a possibility of tearing of your esophagus, leading to possible internal bleeding. The most dangerous side effect is dehydration.

Binge and Purge Cycle  Bulimia Nervosa

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/eating-disorders/bulimia-nervosa.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purging_disorder


7 comments:

  1. Mia, i really found your 5th blog very interesting. i never really understood the difference between anorexia and bulimia. I feel bad for these people because it is vry hard to control and maintain a healthy diet and i applaud those who do.I was very surprised to find out the severe risks that can happen to those with bulimia. I look forward to reading your blog next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason most these people don't try to get any help is because they think they're ok or they don't understand that whats happening to them is that dangerous. Most of the time they think it's a normal diet when in reality it turns into mental illness too. It can become the only thing they think about and I think it could lead to depression or even more dangerous diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia good job this blog was really well explained and now i learned things i never knew about bulimia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly interesting topic. I'm fascinated by all the various things that can go on in the human brain.

    A few issues:
    - Almost no opinion throughout your blog. I need to see your specific take on this subject, and why it is important to you.
    - Font change within your document, + some strange wording, makes some elements appear plagiarized. Make sure to rephrase everything in your own words.
    - Some run-on sentences throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia! I really loved this blog! I have a family memeber that suffers from bulimia nervosa. i never really knew the difference between bulimia nervosa and anerxia. I think your blog is very edcuational and interesting for those who wanted to know more about this subject like me! Great Job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting topic I've never really know the difference between bulimia and anorexia. I have a family member who has suffered from a small case of bulimia but we got it under control, she was being bullied at school and being called fat... the thing is she isn't even overweight but that’s what bulling does to you. You blog is really interesting I've learnt things I've never really knew before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't know the difference between bullimia and anorexia either so i thought it would be very interesting to learn and write about it so the rest of the world wouldn't confuse the difference either. thank you Paris and Noor for taking the time to read and comment on my blog

      Delete